LGBT Forum
FORUMS BLOG/NEWS USER BLOGS USER MEDIA ADVERTS   ADD  MANAGE CHAT CLUBS & USER'S PERSONAL FORUMS LINK EXCHANGE
ULYSSES99 SEARCH ENGINE             CONTACT US

Martine Gutierrez : 15 Young LGBTQ Artists Driving Contemporary Art Forward

Martine Gutierrez
B. 1989, Berkeley, California. Lives and works in New York City.

Your work often references music videos, magazine spreads, and advertisements. When and why did you begin working this way?

As early as middle school. My father got me a video camera and I started making videos with friends––with cameos from babysitters, teachers, pets. By the time I was in high school, I was editing commercially, running programming for a public television station. It was far from glamorous, but it was like reaching into the world.

Do you believe your work responds to—or critiques—ideas of representation and legibility?

Of course. I aim to raise questions about inclusivity, appropriation, and consumerism, but that’s not why I make work. I make for myself.

What drives you to take on the roles of both director and model?

Control. Acting as subject and muse, I work to convey my own fluid identity—an identity that bridges the binaries of gender and ethnicity.

Can you tell us a bit about how your publication Indigenous Woman (2018) evolved?

Indigenous Woman began as an imagining––a simple aspiration to be a cover girl. But not just any cover for any magazine, one where I have the autonomy to fulfill my own ideals and honor personal concerns. I wanted a magazine that didn’t exist yet––so I made one.
artsy.net

LGBT and Art 6.jpg