LGBT Forum
FORUMS BLOG/NEWS USER BLOGS USER MEDIA ADVERTS   ADD  MANAGE CHAT CLUBS & USER'S PERSONAL FORUMS LINK EXCHANGE
ULYSSES99 SEARCH ENGINE             CONTACT US

Chris E. Vargas : 15 Young LGBTQ Artists Driving Contemporary Art Forward

Chris E. Vargas
B. 1978, Los Angeles, California. Lives and works in Bellingham, Washington.

You founded The Museum of Transgender Hirstory & Art (MOTHA). How did it come about?

I started MOTHA in 2013. I originally conceived of it as a poster, Transgender Hiroes (2013), but over the year it took me to assemble it, I began to imagine all the different forms this museum could take without it being an actual physical space. The project continues to be a celebration of trans art and history as well as a critique of the elements at play that have kept trans, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and non-binary identities marginalized.
I was invited to bring an iteration of MOTHA to the New Museum. I began to think what a regional trans history could focus on. When I realized the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots was approaching, I knew it would be a good time to think critically about how this history is remembered. I invited almost a dozen artists to reconceptualize monuments to commemorate this hirstory, knowing full well that monuments themselves are a fraught way to point to history.

Can you tell us about your work in the current exhibition “Queer California: Untold Stories” at the Oakland Museum of California?

I created an installation that highlights the Trans Hirstory of the Bay Area. It includes both artist-made work and archival material. I created a black-and-white line-drawn façade of a classical museum and also created a wallpaper that included even more history not represented as physical objects in the space.
artsy.net

LGBT and Art 5.jpg