LGBT Forum
FORUMS BLOG/NEWS USER BLOGS USER MEDIA ADVERTS   ADD  MANAGE CHAT CLUBS & USER'S PERSONAL FORUMS LINK EXCHANGE
ULYSSES99 SEARCH ENGINE             CONTACT US

Christina Quarles : 15 Young LGBTQ Artists Driving Contemporary Art Forward

Christina Quarles
B. 1985, Chicago, Illinois. Lives and works in Los Angeles.

What drives you to create ambiguous forms in your paintings?
This drive stems from my own experiences of living in a body that is not always legible within the heteronormative, patriarchal, white, Western ideals that structure my daily life, particularly as a fat queer woman born to a white mother and a Black father. My experience of race, which I have always experienced as multiply situated rather than “mixed,” has been especially influential to my understanding of the simultaneous, often contradictory nature of ambiguity and how this excess of information distinguishes ambiguous illegibility from vague illegibility.
One of the things I find most powerful about art is its potential to position people in a conversation they did not know was theirs to explore. I hope to make paintings that are a refuge for those of us who experience ambiguity on a daily basis and as a means to unlock the potential for ambiguity within those who have never had cause to question their own identity position.

How does pattern and flattened space influence the style and content of your paintings?

I am interested in boundary and in edge, in the parameters that define a thing, an idea, a self. Often the boundary is only made clear when contextualized in relation to other boundaries. We know ourselves in relation to others, in our similarities and differences to others. I emphasize the surface of flattened planes in relation to the surface of the body and moments of touch to reiterate the edge of the self and how it is constantly being formed, dismantled, and reformed by our context and our contacts.
artsy.net

LGBT and Art 2.jpg